There are numerous tips for preparing for your vacation, and with the winter season upon us, many people are considering taking a trip.
Vacation planning entails reviewing your homeowner’s insurance policy to see what might be covered in the event of an incident while you’re away.
Examine your homeowner’s policy to ensure that you have adequate coverage for your needs. You should review your coverage every year because your needs may change. Before packing your suitcase and closing the door behind you, double-check with your agent that everything is in order.
It’s time to think about protecting your home from theft while you’re away. According to the FBI, a burglary occurs nearly every 14 seconds in the United States, so here are our suggestions for securing your home and belongings:
- Check that all windows and doors are closed. A burglar who wants to break in will do so anyway if the locks are weak. Sliding glass door windows typically have poor locks, so installing bars in the tracks makes it much more difficult for an intruder.
- If you are going to be gone, notify trusted neighbors so that they are aware. If they notice anything suspicious, they can call the police.
- Any suspicious behavior, such as someone peering through doors and windows, should be reported immediately. Police must be aware of any threats to private property before they occur.
- Do not notify your mail insurers that you will be gone; if possible, arrange for mail pickup with a neighbor.
- Give your travel information to a neighbor or a contact in the community, including the date and time of departure and return, as well as any emergency information.
- Automatic timers on interior lights will help confuse any onlookers.
- Motion detectors can also help to catch a burglar off guard.
- Motorized drape controllers and blinds will stop and start automatically when the drapes open and close and may be a good investment.
- Activate the alarm or security system.
- Stop your newspaper delivery until you return. You can request that your local post office suspend delivery and then resume it when you return.
- It is not a bad idea to notify your local police that you will be leaving the community.